HomeMy Tiny HouseFarm Charm CottageLe Chicken Chateau

Feb 15, 2018

TINY (42'sq ft) FARMHOUSE BATHROOM TRANSFORMATION - Part 3

 For the rest of the story and 'before' photos of this transformed tiny farmhouse bathroom please see my last two posts, part 1 HERE and Part 2 HERE , or scroll down and click on 'older posts'. Warning-this post is picture heavy. One photo for every square foot of space...that's 42 pics.
Sit back, scroll and enjoy as I take you on a tour.

 The house itself is 560' sq feet, and the homes only bathroom is 42' sq feet. Working in such a tiny space presented several challenges. To get an idea of just how small my bathroom is -  stretch out your arms and imagine that it's much narrower than the space between your hands. Yes, every INCH really does matter in a situation such as this. I originally considered making it larger but decided to work within the homes original framework to keep it small, cozy and simple.


A 1918 medicine cabinet hangs on the wall above the toilet.
 Demolition revealed original wood planks on two walls and the ceiling. New pine planks were added where necessary. I used a high end white glossy paint from Lowe's 'Reserve' line to  brighten the space and invite light to reflect off the walls. This tricks the eye and makes tiny spaces appear larger. The old shower/tub combo and tile was removed and a 4-1/2' 1924 claw foot tub and new plumbing took its place.


This tub came out like new, what a transformation in and of itself. I am so pleased with it.
I  used the Annie Sloan chalk paint color called 'French Linen' as my inspiration for the color of the tubs exterior. While you can paint the outside of a claw foot tub with Annie Sloan chalk paint, a different type of paint was  used when the tub was professionally refinished. I wanted to keep this room in a neutral palate, as I can easily add in pops of color down the road that will work well with  both the gray tub and  the white walls.



A galvanized milking stool works as a  towel stand and a vintage doily hides bubble baths, lotions and potions



A new higher toilet was installed and I'm not loving it. I  prefer the shorter ones



The Loo Watchdog


Using a tub to bathe is so 'on purpose'. You can't just jump in and out as quickly as you can with a conventional shower. Unless... you have a faucet such as the one below. It is really easy and comfortable to shower in a sitting position. For me, having a relaxing and super comfortable bath to soak in is part of my simple, sunny life plan. I don't want to rush as much as I did in years past. I make my tub time a relaxing ritual, that includes  good music, candles, homemade skin treatments, and sometimes a glass of Organic red wine, or hot herbal tea. For extra pampering I throw in a handful of fresh flower petals from my garden, and keep a good book or magazine nearby. Then, when my ritual is nearing its end, I can easily rinse off and get ready for life's adventures.
   
This faucet makes hair washing easy and tub cleaning fast and simple

There is a small nook about 31" wide and 12" deep on the left side, that allows this 4 1/2' tub to fit. How perfect it worked out. I have a few inches to spare back there, and use that space to store my toilet brush and some bathroom items. Again, when you only have 42 sq ft' to work with, every single inch is important and useful.

A vintage nightgown with lacework hangs behind the tub


Proper placement of mirrors helps to reflect light in tiny spaces

Using hooks allows me to switch up my decor on a whim

I painted the ceiling trim grey and did a white dry brush treatment on top



A wreath of roses adds a romantic touch over the tub

 I use small shelves and also hooks throughout my home. They allow me to change things up by adding, removing or hanging different items in just a few minutes. That way, I avoid hunting for a hammer and nails. Most importantly, I avoid lots of holes in the plank walls from pounding nails in them. That's.important for a person like me who gets bored and likes to change and switch things up ...as the mood strikes. If I want a picture or new painting on my wall, I just set it on the shelf instead of adding nails and screws all over the room.




A small wall shelf, where sweet things rest

Below, you will notice the vintage (once gold) frame I shared in a prior post. I gave a whopping $3.00 for it at a thrift shop. It now has a new life after several layers of chalk paint, crackle glaze. and dark wax. It's new job is to surround a piece of rusty iron (love birds) art work that I picked up at a flea market.




I purchased this old chippy coat hanger because it had such character. I especially like that it has really deep hooks that allow me to hang towels or some of my vintage items on it. I can change things out really fast and so at $9.00 it was a must have. I like the options that hooks and shelves provide both for practical (what's that?) items or fancy impracticable but pretty (must have) finds.

I have a thing for old wooden hangers that can do double duty. I use them to hold jewelry, towels and pretties in my bathroom


"T"  for TRUMP !!! embroidered towel.

Vintage lace, wood and pearls

I choose wood plank flooring for the bathroom. Actually, I first did a special order for the tongue and groove type at a big box store, all against Mountain Man's (my carpenter, friend) recommendations. He installed them anyway and it turned out that I was a few planks short.  I didn't have time to wait for a special order for just a few more planks and remembered that Mountain Man  told me from the very beginning to buy the cheaper NON tongue and groove planks. He was right, I was wrong, I admit that here to the world, or the few who read this. The cheaper ones actually had straighter edges and Mountain Man fit those babies together like a puzzle on my floor. They were way better than the tongue and groove flooring. Keep in mind he is the guy who on purpose cut some wood into like three thousand pieces, stained them different shades and then inlaid them in an amazing artistic pattern on his OWN floor. So, I should of went with his suggestion to purchase the less expensive boards for my flooring. Lesson learned.

 I used. two coats of Min wax stain on the floor boards for the base coat and then I used a white paint dry brushing technique on top of them, before I sanded and sealed them with a Min wax product topcoat. Before the stain products, I think I was right around $93.00 for flooring.

If  you have a boxy room adding circular or oval shapes helps to soften the space
                              
           In a  wee little loo such as this one you have to get creative in finding ways to store your stuff. I definitely am on a journey to downsize but I have not fully embraced that concept, quite yet. I am a bit of a prepper and that can be a drawback to, or incompatible with small space living. At this time I only have two dresser drawers under the sink, a deep medicine cabinet and the vintage pieces above, which sit on the floor and hold my necessities (and then some). I do have plans to increase my storage space in this tiny bathroom in the near future. More about that in a later post.
                                                                     

The galvanized box is an old milk man deliver box

                                     
A tiny vintage suitcase holds my cosmetics

Below is my beloved 1918 (see the last post for details and before photos) medicine chest. She went from being a brunette to being a blonde. I really wanted to keep her original patina, but the old white Annie Sloan chalk paint transformed her into a softer more feminine lady. She went from being brown to being a white girl. Calm down,- Nancy Pelosi and other liberals. White is beautiful too !!!!
                     
                                                                  
From brunette to blonde with Annie Sloan Old White chalk paint
                                                                    
Hearts appear in all  the rooms of my home




Great storage for Chinese medicine, herbal tinctures, and homeopathic remedies.

I have always had a great fondness for vintage architectural pieces. I have several salvaged Victorian gingerbread pieces that I won't ever part with. From old doors, windows, corbels, columns and more....well - I adore them all. So naturally, I had to incorporate a few pieces into this bathrooms decor. Below, you can see the vintage window that I rescued from a dumpster. I used chippy old legs salvaged from a vintage baby's crib to flank the freebie dumpster window and then I dressed her in a .25 cent vintage doily and topped her with a rusty iron crown, that was purchased at a flea market.

                                                                                         
A perfect little cubby for my toilet paper

The vintage window that I scored from a dumpster
                                                                      










                                                                      
At my request, Mountain Man made me a double decker toilet paper cubby. A second roll of toilet paper can be stored in this recessed nook. However, in my world cute over rules practical. Why waste a perfectly good space on toilet paper when it can be used for a crowned bird and a tiny nest? I plan to add a tiny mirror or maybe wallpaper it's upper section. Why do I adore tiny spaces so much? I do not like to see appliances, so I hung a ceiling tin to hide the wall heater just under the window. Easily removed when it is in use.


My toilet paper cubby

                                                                                 
                                                     
                                                         
 This area below shows a tiny door build into the wall right next to my bathroom vanity / sink. Did you know that if you leave your toothbrush out in a holder sitting on your vanity you are essentially brushing your teeth with what ever bacteria floats in the room when you flush your toilet? Yeah, think about that one for awhile. It is VERY important to keep your toothbrush in good clean shape to do it's job of cleaning your teeth, instead of swooshing around toilet water ingredients and bacteria in your mouth.. So- get yourself a mountain man if need be to get your toothbrush in a good place to do a great job for your health and your smile. You don't have to have a room built just for your tooth brush, but you should never leave it exposed and open in the same room that you flush your toilet in. No charge for the tidbit. Here is my toothbrush cabinet with a sweet crystal knob for easy access.


My toothbrush has it's own room

Inside my toothbrush cubby

The wall light fixture (below) was purchased at a big box store. They didn't make a ceiling fixture to match. So, I made my own. I had a stash of IKEA electrical cords, where you can just add a bulb and a shade to quickly make a new light. I called the manufacturer of the wall light fixture and ordered a matching fluted glass shade to have an extra one on hand should I break one in the future. Won't tell you why I thought to do that. As it worked out they said that light fixture and it's shades were discontinued and they just happened to have one left in the warehouse (after I pestered them to death to please double check while I held on the line). Sure enough..very last one and a steal at $3.00  plus postage. I used that shade paired with electrical components from my stash, and Mountain Man installed it on a dimmer switch. I was so excited to create this (below) ceiling light for under $12.00.

These architectural pieces will eventually be used as brackets for an over the door shelf for bath towels
 
Hand made ceiling light by yours truly

And now... the other end of my 42 square foot tiny bathroom. If you remember this dresser/vanity was spray painted glossy black when I brought it home. It had a wormy chestnut topside which I really liked. I chalk painted the base grey and it was just to much grey for such a small space. Next, I  painted the drawer fronts with Annie Sloan's 'Old White' and added new scroll work on the legs. I kept the same drawer pulls that it came with. Please note, - the pulls were removed at the time of these photos. I am considering doing some graphics on the front of it or adding french script across the front of the drawers. Not quite sure? Maybe I will just leave it be once the hardware is in place. I just realized that I do not have full frontal pictures of this vanity to share now.

A  very heavy, and beveled edged mirror with a beautiful wood frame was a free find left behind in an old barn


Fancy flower shaped soaps are for everyday use. Life is short - use the fancy stuff

Chippy painted tin tiles work great as a back splash

Below, (and also above) is a lamp base from the 40's. Once I laid eyes on this cast iron, heavy duty, chippy, gem - I claimed it as "mine".  I like to re-purpose items for use in unconventional ways. This lamp base was naked (no lamp shade) or wiring and it's owner would NOT come down on the price, not even $1.00. I knew that this bad boy was still coming home with me, even after seeing the 'no bartering' note on it's price tag. Hey, I tried anyway. It would stand duty, as a towel holder in my bathroom. It set me back $45.00 but I was in love at first sight, well maybe it was lust.
I hunted for a  tall scalloped shaped vintage lamp shade to top it off and finally found the perfect one for $3.00. Perfect. match. I promptly stripped the shade down to its metal bones. Just what any  normal vintage, rustic, industrial, farmhouse, french style loving girl would do. right?  Now the shade or what was left of it and the bad boy lamp base do duty as a vintage hand towel and jewelry holder. Perfectly shabby chic. Just how I like it.


Lamp base re-purposed as a towel holder

I found this vintage reproduction enamel cup and holder (below) years ago. You may recognize it, as I have one just like it in my tiny (8'x18)' house  Before I moved to NC I knew that I wanted to use one in my farmhouse bathroom and I searched online high and low to find another one. It seem to blend right into the wall when I hung it so I layered it onto a french chalk painted frame. It is filled with a hen shaped soap bar with tiny little egg shaped guest soaps. As you can see, I just add pieces of decor that I enjoy. NO RULES.




Whew.. I need to run some hot water, fill my tub and take a long bubble bath after this huge picture heavy post. I included FORTY TWO photos. One photo in honor of  each square foot of my tiny bathroom. Yes, it is small, really small- as well as the rest of this farmhouse cottage. I intentionally created this type of lifestyle. ON purpose and with great thankfulness. I am blessed to have been able to create a mortgage free, sunny simple life style. I worked for it, it was not handed to me. I had to sacrifice many things to create this lifestyle. It was not an easy path but oh so worth it.to get to this place in life. I do not regret downsizing my last home and the lifestyle I had back then. The large mortgage, massive property taxes and huge utility bills over shadowed the few positives. And the rain, well that was definitely torture for me. And now I can look back and be thankful for the rain as it motivated me to change my life sooner than not.

 I am such a low tech girl, it's been exhausting to sit at my computer and get these pictures posted. Much rather be doing hands on demo work and remodeling or a hundred other things than to sit in front of a computer this long. I realize all over again, how thankful I am that I don't have any use for a cell phone,  never sent a text and don't pay to much attention to emails either. However, this blog remains a way for me to keep in touch with long distance friends and family and also stay in touch with those of you who take the time to visit here.

 Life...for me is better lived in a small house. It is like being wrapped in a hug. Easier to buy, build or pay off, instead of being owned by your homes costs. I encourage those of you who have considered changing your lifestyle to go for it. Yes, it is a journey to downsize but a much easier road to travel IMO.
While I have less room it allows me to have much more freedom in so many other ways. 

Life is so short, use the good dishes, use the fancy soaps, and remember that no matter your age, it is never to late to have a happy childhood. No matter your age find a way to play.

BLESSINGS,

 Tonita 



   I shared this post with The Charm of Home blog. A wonderful blog where you can be inspired.
































                                                                                                             





                                                                         

31 comments:

Rebecca Lynn said...

Oh my heart! I am in love! Thank you for always showing the littliest of things that pull everything together and as always I sit with wonderment looking at your wonderful touches of whimsy and style. I too have a small home as I told you before and really appreciate that your sharing of your personal space, I need the ideas! And sometimes my brain just cant come up with anything. Thank you, hope your well and keep pressin on sister :)

Tonita said...

Hi Rebecca, My small home livin sista. Thanks for your sweet comment.
I also enjoy seeing how tiny and small home dwellers use their space. Especially a challenge for those of us who are not minimalists. Blessings.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It came out super cute and you did so much with the space to make it shabby chic! I also have only one bathroom and it's the shoebox size 8 x5. I am not a minimalist either, though I try to keep down the clutter, because when it is small it is easy to see the mess. I agree: less worries. xoxo Su

Tonita said...

Su, Were tiny bathroom sistas..lol. Clutter is a never ever ending, constant upkeep, always down sizing type of issue. Not always easy.. but still love small home living overall. Thanks for stopping over.

Anonymous said...

Yahooooo and congratulations on your one of a kind, shabby chic, chippy paint, French, homey bathroom. Glad you incorporated lots of nooks and crannies in your tiny loo. Your have a huge and extremely creative imagination. BTW, I used to collect hearts, too. So the T stands for Trump?? So glad you can soak and tinkle in the same space now. What a pleasure. Well done. Elizabeth

Tonita said...

Hi E. Yes, the "T" on that pretty hand towel stands for "Trump"- our President, whom I support and adore. I also had a towel embroidered with a "D" since I am a deplorable. Just realized that I didn't take a picture of my toilet paper with Killary's face on it. I'll have to share that later.

Tanya said...

Killary toilet paper? Omigosh you made me laugh out loud!
Love all your photos and got some great ideas, especially about using shelves & hooks to easily change out things.

Linda S. said...

Your bathroom is gorgeous! Love the decorating and your little tub! :-)

Valerie said...

Your bathroom is an absolute gem! I can not believe what you were able to do with that tiny space. You are beyond creative!

Michelle Kendle said...

Tonita, I'm in awe of your tiny wonder. Its beautiful and creative and the ingenious little ideas you come up with are perfect for your space. Who would of thunk to have used a stripped down lampshade as a towel/jewelry holder, perfect! Love your whimsy and imagination. Keep 'em coming!

Tess8110 said...

Amazing, I love your stories, your lil house, your true passion and honnest political views and your name 😉. My name is Tonia, your lil house is my inspiration for my lil house dream.

Tonita said...

Hi Tonita, Well- we must be sista's from another mother. Thanks for dropping by this deplorable safe zone, where there is no aim to be PC. All are welcome unless they become unhinged and if that happens they can dwell over at the CNN blog. LOL. Happy to hear you find inspiration over here, and hope you are moving towards your little house dream.

Hi, Michelle, Thanks for stopping in and leaving your thoughts over here. Blessings.

Burlap Luxe said...

Oh yes!! What a cozy space, living your bathtub and your cabinet filled with what is natural for living. I see the statue with a crown and it is a perfect spot to rest upon. Thank you dearly for taking the time to enjoy my art post and where I create for. I also share At BurlapLuxe instagram hope to see you visit there as well.

Xx
a blessed weekend ahead of you and all it inspires. I’m off to read some of your older postings getting to know you and your home that much better.
Xx

Tonita said...

Thanks for stopping by. I have followed your blog for years now. It is one of the best blogs ever You are also such a beautiful lady and a talented and creative artist. I am in love with those little sheep.
Blessings.

Lidy@FrenchGardenHouse said...

Tonita, your bathroom is so charming! I'm in love with your tub, totally transformed with the chalk paint. It's beautiful!! You've truly created the sweetest place to bathe and relax.

Tonita said...

Hi Lidy,
Thanks for stopping by my little corner of blog land. Many blessings to you.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Ok your bathroom is completely adorable!!!! Thanks for visiting my blog, now I've found yours and I can't wait to bounce around and check out more of your little farmhouse!

Tonita said...

Hi Debbie,
I am happy to have found your blog also. We both are originally from big cities and now have become mountain dwellers. I am completely sold out and in love with the Appalachian mountain life. Thanks for peeking in and commenting on my tiny bathroom re do.

Lifetrekker said...

Hello Tonita, Wow! I used to look at your tiny house and blog when you lived in Washington state. I just came across this as I was cleaning out my bookmarks and saw that you now live in NC in a farmhouse! Wow! Is it tiny too? I haven't seen a complete picture of it. I am so amazed at how you decorate and find things so inexpensively. You have such a creative flair and your sense of fashion and decor is exquisite. I also was thrilled to see that you're a Christian too...a born again Christian! AND I absolutely loved reading your inauguration poem for President Trump! Wow! God put him in office and it's so rare to come across someone who actually likes the fact that he won, loves the fact that Hillary didn't win and supports him as well. I'm going to be following you more often to see your lovely, quaint postings and pictures here. Thanks for all this. It's sooooooo refreshing. God blessings and favor pour out upon you, in Jesus' Name :)

Tonita said...

Welcome Life trekker.

You made my day. I appreciate your comments. Yes, I still have my 8'x18' tiny house on wheels. When I moved from WA state I had it towed to NC and it sits in the beautiful woods on my land. As sweet as it is, realistically I could not live full time (comfortably) in my tiny house. It just feels to claustrophobic to me for full time dwelling. It is a great back up option for me should life throw a curve ball my way. I love to have options.

My other home in NC is a sweet but also tiny vintage farmhouse in the Appalachian mountains and it is a mere 560 sq feet in size. Over many decades it has been the home to many families in these old historical story filled mountains. I figured I could make it work also. I tend to show just snip it shots because I always have some sort of project going on and well,- I don't live like some bloggers do who keep a picture perfect, camera ready home. This is real life over here, it easily gets messy and it has to be a plan to take and share some decent pictures of this little farmhouse cottage.

Living in NC is wonderful. I STILL sport my HUGE TRUMP banner across the front of my home, and I still have my sign up that says "my dogs are more trust worthy than Killary". I get a lot of 'thumbs up' by those who see it. One (notice I said ONE) local lib got out of his car and approached me and asked if I realized the election was over and suggested I remove my signs. I suggested he round up his un hinged liberal friends and tell them the election is over, TRUMP WON, and "get over it". I told him once the libs calm themselves down and act civil, that I would then consider taking my banners and sign down. I don't see either happening anytime soon.

There are millions of us who admire and support our President Trump. MILLIONS - that is how Trump became president. I wear my God, Guns and Trump tee shirt frequently and get lots of nods or 'thumbs up' from fellow deplorables. I love my president and thank God for him. We are in a sweet spot with Trump, God only knows what is next. My trust is in God.

I welcome all people who have found their way to this shabby little blog, that used to be private and intended to just be a way to keep in touch with my friends and family. No matter who a visitor voted for, anyone is welcome here. This is not a style blog, and my posts will not be limited to what others think I should blog about. But- know that this is MY blog and I speak my mind. I keep it real here. If someone is offended, there are plenty of places to spend your time on or off line. I love JESUS, and I am a deplorable who voted for and STILL supports Trump. A few blog followers became un hinged when I posted about Trump and I could care less. Free country, vote for who you like, but don't think you will silence me. The great thing is that the magazines have finally stopped pestering me with offers I find to be ridiculous. Do you know you don't even get paid when they feature your home in their publications? The editor, the writer, the photographer, the stylist and those who sell the magazine gets paid but not the home owner. I totally don't get it. Go figure?????

This comment turned out to be a post in and of itself. Come back anytime, and know this is a safe haven a sanctuary blog and comment section for those who love JESUS and for those who support our amazing president TRUMP.

Celtic Tree said...

Thank you for your blog, Tonita! It feels so good knowing there are like-minded people out there. Loved your tiny house blog when you were in Washington and have looked forward to your posts now that you are in North Carolina.

Judy said...

Hi Tonita,
I just came across your blog and am avidly reading the posts. I love the work you're doing to your little home and plan to go back and read more of your blog.

But before I forget, I have to tell you that I love the pretty lacy looking white cup that holds your toothbrush and toothpaste! I'd love to have one for my own bathroom medicine cabinet. The one I have now is a peach color plastic one that has served me well, but after about 25 years of using it, I am plenty bored with looking at it every day.

Can you tell me where you got yours? I guess I am being a copy-cat, but I'd love to have one like it.

Celtic Tree said...

Hope you are far enough inland to survive Hurricane Florence?

Tonita said...

Hi there - You are so sweet to take the time to send me such a nice comment of concern. I thank you so very much. I just took a break from chalk painting some vintage furniture items out on my deck. The weather is magnificent, sunny and warm today with not a cloud in the sky. Maybe the calm before the storm? I am located pretty far inland and well tucked into these glorious Appalachian mountains. Time will tell - I am concerned for my friends in FL and GA.
I keep a 6th month supply of food on hand as well as other prepping supplies - just in case. Thanks again for stopping by my blog. Blessings

Celtic Tree said...

I've followed your blog for years - you are an amazing person. Love your decorating ideas and small home living (and political commentary) ! Stay dry!

Roman said...

I love your unique window as a cupboard solution. That's just a brillant idea of combining old things with useful ideas!

Tonita said...

Roman,
Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog. When you live in a tiny space you have to get very creative. I like to re purpose items and give them a new life.

Tonita said...

Judy, who commented above and wanted to know where I purchased my toothbrush holder. I got it at Ikea a few years ago. I am so sorry I missed your comment and did not respond till months later. My bad. Hope you subscribed to this comment thread, so you can hopefully find yourself one. Perhaps you can just google it and maybe someone on Ebay has one for sale. Yes girl.. after 25 years - you deserve a new place to put your toothbrush. Come visit again soon.

A Joyful Cottage said...

Your bathroom is fantastic! I love it, Tonita. You have such a gift for designing beautiful spaces, and as one other reader said I'm so glad you take the time to show all the little details. You inspire me, my friend! You sound so happy and contented, and for that I'm truly glad. Hugs, and Happy New Year!! Nancy P.S. I went back and read all three of your bathroom posts. Again, so inspiring!

Tonita said...

Nancy, It is so wonderful to have you back in blog land and thanks for visiting and leaving such a sweet comment. Happy New Year to you also my friend.

Kim said...

What a perfectly charming room!! I love every inch of it. That tub is amazing, what a lucky find and I'm amazed by your ability to fit so much in such a tiny space. We're in the middle of an unplanned renovation and I'm trying to envision my perfect cottage style bath. So far, I have settled on anything yet. Hopefully, my results will be as pretty as yours!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...