HomeMy Tiny HouseFarm Charm CottageLe Chicken Chateau

Jun 28, 2020

CROWNS IN THE COTTAGE


Have you ever wondered why you are drawn to certain colors, home goods or decorating styles? What inspired you to start collecting a certain item? Was it a childhood memory, a special person or?  What feeling do those things evoke deep inside you?

 I  gravitate towards items that remind me of years gone by. What about you? I use colors, art and items that create an invitation to a feeling of  calm. I mix in odd or quirky things that make me smile. I don't care about current home trends or the paint color of the year. They are just selling paint and promoting consumerism that fades away with each new trend. I especially like to use things in my farmhouse cottage that make my heart sing and / or remind me of biblical truths.


 My home is by no means a fashion statement but it is a perfectly imperfect sweet spot where I dwell on this earth for time being. I am grateful and blessed yet  just like one of my favorite songs proclaims - All I know is, I'm not home yet and this is not where I belong. If you want to know what I mean by that statement listen to this short song video clip below.




 In the meantime.....
 
 I'm drawn to many forms, sizes and textures of certain items in particular. Some of the smaller home  decor items that capture my attention can be seen throughout my little cottage. My mini collections include hearts, vintage keys, sheep, pigs, bunnies, birds, nests and crowns. Tea cups, old quilts and galvanized watering cans can be found on my covered porches. This post will zero in (at some point) on crowns.


 I also have a thing for old chippy painted doors and windows, for well over three decades. I collected them long before they were a desirable 'must have' in today farmhouse style. I love that my old farmhouse still has most of the original wavy glass panes still intact. Let my eyes spot old fret work, or vintage porch columns, and I swoon over such treasures. Cast iron sinks, rusty items that tell a story..Yes please. You can probably tell that I would much rather spend a day at a salvage yard than take an all expense paid shopping trip to a mall. That says it all. 


Living in a tiny 570' farmhouse has helped me to walk away from some amazing deals, and curb my appetite to posses more things. I have a 'one item in, five items out' rule for myself. At this season in life I'm satisfied with all that I'm in charge over. I need nothing more. I am looking at things differently these days and I am tired of the make it, break it, buy it, use it, toss it circle of consumerism, of which I have been partaking of for way to long. Maybe this is a phase and maybe not? I have zero desire, nor a plan to become a minimalist, I've just reached a point where I no longer desire to purchase nor posses any more STUFF.


That all being expressed (cause ya all know I need to do that).... I will move forward with sharing some photos found online as well as some of the crowns that pop up here and there and there and there and there...in my little farmhouse. One of the reasons I like crowns is because they remind me of just
 who I am. Especially on those days where the enemy works hard to try and make me forget just who I am. I hope these photos will encourage you to remember who's you are if you are a believer in JESUS.


 I AM A CHILD OF THE KING OF KING'S & LORD of LORD'S.
Exclusive authentication service & customer support. Free 1-3 day shipping for a limited time. Description: I miss my momma every day... I shared this from a friend.. I know there are many of us out there that feel the same way.... 😘😘❤️❤️❤️. Sold by drea04. Fast delivery, full service customer support.
One of my all time favorite memes. Source - Pinterest



SO IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER
The perfect way to remind yourself of your true identity. Download our "I am the daughter of a King" lock screen or wallpaper for your phone.
Source - Pinterest


AMEN & AMEN - I LOVE AFFIRMATIONS LIKE THIS ONE BELOW
Better than clothes and makeup is being in His presence. His beauty rubs off on your heart. :))
Source - Pinterest



What is the symbolic meaning of a crown?
A crown is a traditional symbolic form of head adornment worn by a monarch or by a deity (as distinct from a hat), for whom the crown traditionally represents power, legitimacy, victory, triumph, honor, and glory, as well as immortality, righteousness, and resurrection.



CROWNS IN MY COTTAGE



Okay, so play along with me. As a child.... did any of you gals take flower petals and make slippers for your Barbie dolls? I did, I used fuchsia's and I made them sweet crowns out of flower petals buds and leaves. I embrace and honor my inner child to this day as I make tiny crowns and place them on faux farmhouse critters. This is where my sense of whimsy comes into play.


                                          Paper napkins with a sheep in a garden made crown



Looking out my kitchen window past a birdie with a crown


  Kitchen towel- No pigs in a blanket at my house



French statuary complete with a crown


Shiny crown on a little rusty bird, all dressed up and no place to fly


Crowned bird is resting on the front room window


Sleepy princess



Bunny in a glittered crown


Crowned birdie



All I know is I'm not home yet... no suitcase needed



Crowned buck on a front room pillow


Crowned brown cow - say that ten x in a row




A crown and cross hang from my vintage headboard




Crowned bird watches over me as I sleep



Shabby chic crowned critter sits next to my tub




BLESSINGS
YOU ARE PRECIOUS IN HIS SIGHT.


As always please remember that it is never to late to have a happy childhood. If you missed one the first time around then create one for yourself this very day. I took a break between uploading photos for this blog post. I took one of my dogs for a walk and went to a park. I took off my shoes and walked through the sand and got on a swing and had a ball. I came home and googled "princess on a swing" and found this photo below. I love it, even though I have no idea what is going on in the lower half of it? She looks to be wearing a crown?



IT IS NEVER TO LATE TO CREATE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD
XO, Tonita

Lol... even if it goes terribly wrong.



15 comments:

Lydia said...

I have a tiara collection, getting tarnished in a box. I will wear one for my next homemakers inspiration video. I do remember we wore them as part of hair ornaments, back in the 1950's. But in later decades it was very cruel and intimidating to hear the remarks of people who thought it was bourgeois. If you wanted to be more upright or ladylike, you were promptly shamed. The crowns were part of the hairstyle and a common part of a woman's wardrobe at one time.

Tonita said...

Oh Lydia I bet they are beautiful even in a tarnished state. The tarnish tells a story imo. I would consider hanging them on the wall or just setting them out around your home. I will await your new video sporting a tiara. How fun and beautiful, I can only imagine.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hello Tonita. Hope you are doing well. I have learned since I moved into a tiny house only 780 sq. feet of space that if I want something new then something has to go. That way I stay in check with things. Love all your crowns in so many different ways throughout your little cottage. Happy New Week.
Hugs,
Kris

Tonita said...

Hey Kris,
Your cottage is beyond adorable but it looks SO much bigger on your blog photos. Yeah, the one thing in, one thing out is a great way to live in a small space. I have to have the 1 in, 5 things out rule due to just way to much stuff here. I suppose if I never rotated decor or decorate for holidays that I would be ahead of the game. One day at a time on the journey to less stuff. I am coming on over to your blog right now.

Linda Shukri said...

Hi Tonita,

I like your whimsy ways! :-) I don't go along with the current fads of home decor with paint colors. After a year and a half in our new house in SC, most of the walls are still grey - not my color. I love reds, greens, some yellow and blue. I'm slow in getting things accomplished, but working towards eliminating the greys.

You have a lot of crowns! How lovely! My collections include teacups and teapots, and about 30 ceramic houses - you know, the Christmas village houses. I purchased all of them at different times at a Salvation Army store in MA when I was still living there.

my best to you,
Linda S.

Tonita said...

Linda, Thanks for visiting. I also like colors other than white. In my last home I used Eggplant purple and Sage Green on interior walls. I had my gust room painted yellow. After downsizing I felt like I wanted to stay with neutrals which work well in tiny spaces. One room at a time and your home and moods will be transformed by new paint. I also like teapots and teacups. The houses you collect are so cute, I am all about tiny houses. Take care -

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Bonjour, Tonita!

I am coming to thank you for visiting my blog as you stumbled across my page, researching crowns!

I agree; we are the Children of God and we are gifted with an extraordinary mission to take His Word and live it to our best. It's not an easy crown to wear, the crown of a Child of God. May we always pray for the grace to remain blameless in a world that cannot bear the light. Blessings to you!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Crowns galore - all beautiful! ♥

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Tonita - thanks so much for your thoughtful comments over at my blog - where did you used to live in California - I grew up there. Lived in southern California for 38 years before moving my family up here to Portland. Your neck of the woods sounds wonderful right now...it gives me a breath of fresh air just thinking about how you described it. Many blessings to you ♥

Tonita said...

Hi Carrie, I was born in the SF bay area and lived in Contra Costa and Marin counties for about 38 years. Just across the bay from SF. Moved to the country about an hr from Seattle and lived there 12 way to long years. Absolutely hated the weather. Closed my biz and bought a home online, sight unseen in a town I had never heard of or knew anyone. That was 5 years ago and it is one of the best changes I have ever in life made. I am now a forever Southern at heart girl. TX for visiting.

ChiChi Mum said...

Your blog is quite beautiful..love it. I, too, live in NC near Greensboro, NC area. Thanks for reminding us this Earth is not our final destination. "There's a better Home awaiting".. :0) Amen. Love your tiny home..it is great. Thank you.

Tonita said...

Hi Sweet Lady-
Thanks for stopping by. Come visit me in person here in the beautiful Appalachian mtns someday.. You can stay in my tiny house. God bless you abundantly in all things.

A Joyful Cottage said...

Here I am, visiting at last, Tonita. You really do have a large crown collection, and each one is unique. The first meme is one I'm familiar with, and love dearly. Good to remember on those days when we feel "less". Hope you're enjoying these dog days of summer. Fall is just around the corner. Hugs.

Finn Jayden said...

What inspires your sense of decoration?

Tonita said...

Old treasures with a story behind them grab my attention. Chippy, rusty vintage items that would normally be tossed out by others speak to me. Items that have stood the test of time that can be given some TLC to renew and enjoy them are what I like to decorate my cottage with. I have for many years loved hearts, keys, bird nests, crowns, bunnies, miniatures and farm animals, vintage lace and chandeliers fulfill my cottage decorating style.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...